Monday, December 13, 2010

I Won 1st Place at Cookie Contest!

Today, at work we held our annual Cookie Contest. This is my second time submitting an entry. I didn't enter the last couple years just because I was too busy, but I this year I was determined to try again. The rules were pretty simple, no store bought cookies allowed and bar cookies were accepted. I decided to make one of my mother's favorite cookies, "Nut-Apricot Sticks". I remember asking her one year, "What I can I get you for Mother's Day?  "Just make me these apricot bars that my sister makes,"she responded. So, I got the recipe and made them for her. Now this recipe is one of my favorites and I often make them to give away as gifts. Well, I made them for this year's annual Cookie Contest and I won 1st place!

I kept some for the family, this is what they look like. They have a crackly meringue top, a cake-like bottom, and a jam filling in the middle.
And here's what some of the other entries looked like. There were another 10 cookies entires I didn't get pictues of, cuz they were all eaten up.
Here's the recipe if you'd like to try it for your holiday party. I called them Apricot Nut Clouds.

2/3 C butter
1 C sugar
1 tsp grated lemon rind
2 eggs
1 C flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
6 oz apricot jam
1/2 C walnuts

Makes about 40.

Line 9x9 square pan with parchment paper and grease sides.
Cream together butter and 1/2 C sugar with lemon rind. Add 2 egg yolks, one at a time. Spread mixture into pan.
Cover with a thin layer of apricot jam.
Beat 2 egg whites until stiff. Add 1/2 C sugar and beat until meringue stands in peaks. Fold in chopped nuts. Spread meringue carefully over jam.
Bake at 350 in oven for 45 min until firm and golden brown. Cool completely before removing from pan.

Enjoy!  Thanks Auntie for a great recipe and Mom for a great suggestion...we did it!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your 1st place showing! Kudos to you for your talent in altered art and now baking!!! Thanks for the recipe...I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sound great. I'm going to try them instead of the apricot tarts we make every Christmas. Thanks for a new twist.

    I received my x-mas card in the mail today...SO adorable and so much work. You are TOO good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go winning the cookie contest. I'll definitely have to try this recipe since I love apricots and meringue. I didn't know this was one of mom's favorite. Your advent tags are absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete