Friday, January 7, 2011

Friday's Depot Find

I love Friday's for several reasons (not only for the weekend ahead) but also for my weekly trip to what I call Craft Depot (aka East Bay Depot for Creative Reuse, see why I abbreviate) in Oakland. I've mentioned it many times in previous posts. It's just this place where people and businesses donate items that could potentially be used for some craft/art project. You can find great treasures, you just have to be willing to look through a bunch of junk too. Today, I picked up just these two items. Some gray ribbon (styled in France, as the label says) - nice color, 1/4" wide, perfect for many projects and also some adorable ivory mini picture frames.
I purchased only 10 frames, not knowing what I would do with them...although they had hundreds in a box there. They have a nice vintage look (dull ivory plastic). The frames where less than twenty cents each. I knew I had to work on making something with the frame tonight, so I could decide if I need to go back tomorrow and buy more. Here's what I came up with.
The size of the frame is 1.5" x 2.5". The center part is slightly raised and can easily be removed. I covered the center part with some paper, embellished with more paper, and then used one of Catherine Moore's stamps (from the Bird & Bee Paperie collection) for the girl. I hope to be able to drill holes in the top and bottom and be able to use on a necklace. I can also see using the frames as a book cover\or just on a card. Who wants some?  I'm going back tomorrow to buy more...it's got potential! Maybe I can sell these on my Esty site (someday).  Leave me a comment if you want me to pick you up some!

2 comments:

  1. Great finds! The pic frames definitely have potential...can you pick me up 5 - not bad for a $1.00 investment. I've been working on shrink plastic today...having SO much fun! I think I'm finally getting the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love some - if you haven't gone already, pls. pick me up 10, just in case. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete